Thursday, April 25, 2013

Chinatown

We woke up this morning ready to hit Chinatown. 

Background story of how I found out about the wonders of Chinatown. 

One of JD's co-workers wives put together a luncheon on Wednesday for the Ex-Pat wives to attend. It was absolutely lovely! We went to a restaurant called North Border Bar & Grill. It's a Westernized (not sure that's a word) restaurant, we had chips and salsa for an appetizer. Almost felt like home! :) It was the first time I had to instruct my cab driver where to take me. It's not a place many locals go. They call it a black & white place because the shutters and brick are black and white, but a lot don't know about it because during the war the officers lived in it-so many Singaporeans did not go there. 
There were 8 of us wives that came to the lunch. The coordinator of the lunch gave us each gift bags-- so pretty with some necessities and a contact list! We each got a fan, wipes (a must for the amount you sweat here), tissues and a little note pad.  Some of the wives had been in Singapore for 3 years, but most only a year or two. There were 4 of us who came within the same 2 weeks. One lady who is our age from London, another from Tyler, TX (so wonderful to have a piece of home with me) and I know I'm going to enjoy her & another who I already love as well from Mobile, Alabama! 2 of them live in the complex next to us! :) Yay! The wives who have been in Singapore for a while had such wisdom and advice to give on things needed, places to go, how to get there, what not to do, what to do, fun facts, and foodie tips! There is only one ex-pat wife in the group with younger children and she has 3. 8,6, and 3. I was so excited about this because her 3 year old is a little boy! We have already talked about a playdate! She had lots of advice on places to go with the kids, schools, and playgroups. The wives that have been here for a little while are from all over, Australia, Houston, TX, Cairo, Eygpt, another Texas. 

Anyways, one of the ladies told me we needed to go to Chinatown. She described it as, "You walk out of the MRT and you feel like your in Disney World." Who wouldn't want to try it with that description?? 


First woke up to this handsome boy! Got some early morning snuggles. 


Had some breakfast on the patio with Papa.


Mr. Cool ready to hit Chinatown. 



Heading out early for our adventure!



Emme, Logan, and Papa riding the MRT.


This morning I bought a single stroller--- I did not pay $1200 for it. 
Although pricey it was worth every single penny! 


The "stinky fruit" stand. 
The spiny fruit behind them is very stinky. 


Papa & Logan checking out the open markets. 


Logan smelling the stinky fruit. Ha!


This quite possibly could be an inappropriate picture... 
But it was so hilarious to me... Never heard it phrased this way. 
It's hard to read the writing, but it gives a list of things these lemon/orange dried fruits can help with. 
The last one being: "Gastrectasis wind"
I laugh as I write that... 
Guess that's what I get for living with 3 boys. 


CHINATOWN! 


What a neat place! There were about 3 streets like this that had shops galore! 

Emme & Papa & their boys! 

Jackson & I scoping it all out. 




In Chinatown. 
Sorry my pictures did not upload in the correct order, but I am not going to fix right now. 


Hindu temple.



Sri Mariammain Temple



Walking down the streets of Chinatown.


Pagoda Street. One of the streets with lots of open market shops. 
We got some goodies to send home to some people! 


Another temple. 
Papa & Logan. 
Logan getting a "dragon ride" from his Papa. 
Papa thinking about all the Motrin he is going to have to take tonight! :)


After a little shopping we decided to beat the heat with some ice cold drinks and mango smoothies for the boys. 
We also grabbed some lunch at a hocker and it was great!! 
Dad ordered spring rolls, Mom got sweet and sour pork, and I got some chicken fried rice. 
All delicious! 
Even got to enjoy some really nice fans! 


This place also had some aquariums full of prawn, grouper, and tilapia. 
The boys just LOVED going to look at them. 


Prawns.


They also had these cages full of the BIGGEST crabs I have ever seen. 
It's hard to see through the bars, but WOW!


Piggy back ride through china town after a filling lunch!


I know he is sideways, but this is one of the shops we found and LOVED!! 
This man wrote the boys names out in Mandarin and then on the back put the meaning of each of them. L.O.V.E. 

Logan: "Wealthy Root"
Jackson: "Excellent Conqueror"

This man was so interesting. Even nice enough to let me take a picture. 
The lady that was working there even gave the boys 2 bobble head as she called them lucky statues. 
They are at this time the center pieces on my dining room table. Ha! 
Not for long though. 


Ready to head back to the apartment. 


Waiting for the MRT.



One last stop before we head home though. 
Gotta cool down with some McDonald's ice cream! :) 
No one was opposed to that! 


My sweet boy and I! 


Emme, Papa, & Jackson enjoying their ice cream! 

Not sure that Chinatown was like Disney World, but I would definitely go back again! 
It was an awesome adventure and I loved the shops! 

On to what tomorrow holds! 
Can't wait till the weekend when the hubby gets to join our adventures!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment